Excellus BlueCross BlueShield is requesting your help preparing kids for a successful school year. Now through August 22, local businesses and Catholic Charities will be collecting new or like new sneakers and backpacks and new school supplies. These items will be distributed at The Samaritan Center in Elmira or at Schuyler Outreach in Watkins Glen to benefit local children in need. The following businesses have partnered with Catholic Charities to offer drop off locations:
- Buffalo Wild Wings, Horsheads
- Community Arts of Elmira
- Cornell Cooperative Extension, Chemung County, Elmira
- Empower FCU, Elmira
- Express Employment Professionals, Corning
- Farmers Insurance, Elmira
- Mr. Panosian’s Famous Shoes, Elmira
- Parmenter Tire, Auto & Truck Service, Horseheads
- Sweet Frog, Horseheads
- The Purple Iris Boutique, Horseheads
- Treu Office Supply & Furniture, Elmira
- Libraries in Chemung County
- Famous Brands, Watkins Glen
- The Hi-Lites, Watkins Glen
- Itsy Bitsy Children’s Shop, Watkins Glen
- Parmenter Tire, Auto & Truck Service, Odessa & Montour Falls
- Quinlan’s Pharmacy, Montour Falls
- Visions FCU, Watkins Glen
- Libraries in Watkins Glen, Odessa and Hector
Other Drop-off Locations in conjunction with Community Broadcasters’ Back to School Supply Drive.
- The Samaritan Center, 380 S Main St, Elmira; Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – Noon & 1 pm – 4:30 pm
- Schuyler Outreach, 112 Tenth Street, Watkins Glen; Tuesday & Thursday, 9 am- 2 pm, Friday, Noon- 4 pm.
“As a mother/father/guardian, you want the best for your child,” states Lindsay Winters, Catholic Charities’ Director of Development. “But what if you couldn’t financially make ends meet? Can you imagine sending your child to school in clothes with holes, sneakers that are too tight, a tattered backpack or without the needed school supplies for success? Please donate today. With the help of our local businesses and people like you, we can ensure all kids start the year off right.”
Catholic Charities’ Back to School Giveaways will be held at The Samaritan Center on August 27 from 11 am to 1 pm (must be a Chemung County resident) and Schuyler Outreach on August 25 from 4 to 6 pm (must be a Schuyler County resident). Both giveaways will offer free haircuts. For a full list of needed items, additional ways to donate or if you are a stylist looking to volunteer your time, please visit our event page.
About Catholic Charities Chemung/Schuyler: Catholic Charities is committed to fighting the effects of poverty and its root causes through its work. Catholic Charities provides a number of needed programs and services in the community with a priority toward the poor. We work to ensure that people have food, clothing, shelter, medical services, and the ability to achieve a decent standard of living. For more information, browse our website or call the Elmira office at 607.734.9784 or the Watkins Glen office at 607.535.2050.