WATKINS GLEN, NY – The First Step Victim Services Department of Catholic Charities of Chemung and Schuyler Counties is hosting an awareness initiative at various locations in our community. This initiative is in conjunction with the NO MORE Week of Action, March 5-11, a national grassroots activation aimed at making domestic violence and sexual assault awareness and prevention a priority year-round.
Community members are encouraged to drop in at any location to participate. There will be a photo station where you can make your own NO MORE statement. This event is free to the public.
- Monday, 3/6/17, at Steele Memorial Library, first floor (101 E Church St, Elmira); 1 pm to 5 pm
- Tuesday, 3/7/17, at Catholic Charities of Chemung/Schuyler (215 E Church St, Elmira); 9 am to 4 pm
- Wednesday, 3/8/17, at Watkins Glen Walmart (515 E 4th St, Watkins Glen); 10:30 am to 2:30 pm (rain date 3/9)
- Thursday, 3/9/17, at Catholic Charities’ Schuyler Office (607 N Franklin St, Watkins Glen); 10 am to 2 pm
- Friday, 3/10/17, at Schuyler Outreach Food Pantry (112 10th St, Watkins Glen); 12 pm to 4 pm
- Saturday, 3/18/17, at Jackals’ Domestic Violence Awareness Night (First Arena, Elmira); 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm
Every 9 seconds in the United States a woman is assaulted or beaten. 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men experience violence from their partners in their lifetimes. These are a few reasons why it is so important to make awareness a priority year-round. Please join us in saying NO MORE to domestic violence and sexual assault.
If you can’t make it to any of these locations during the week, you can still participate. Share your NO MORE statement by using #NOMOREweek on social media. Upload a picture telling us how you’re saying NO MORE when it comes to domestic violence & sexual assault. Post it in our Facebook event as well.
For more information, contact Bethany Worrey, Victim Services and Housing Supervisor at 607-535-2050, ext. 205 or via email. For more information on the First Step Victim Services Program, please visit their page.
About NO MORE: NO MORE is a public awareness campaign designed to engage bystanders around ending domestic violence and sexual assault. Launched in March 2013 by a coalition of leading advocacy groups, service providers, and major corporations, NO MORE is supported by hundreds of national and local groups and by thousands of people who are using its signature blue symbol to increase visibility for these hidden issues. For more information on NO MORE Week, please visit nomore.org.
About Catholic Charities of Chemung/Schuyler: Catholic Charities is committed to fighting the effects of poverty and its root causes through its work. Catholic Charities provides a number of needed programs and services in the community with a priority toward the poor. We work to ensure that people have food, clothing, shelter, medical services, and the ability to achieve a decent standard of living. For more information, visit browse our website or call 607.734-9784.