Catholic Charities and the Economic Opportunity Program (EOP) are requesting your help preparing local kids for a successful school year. From now until August 24, area businesses, Catholic Charities, and the Economic Opportunity Program (EOP) are collecting new school supplies, backpacks, and headphones. School Supply Starter Kits and new backpacks will be distributed at two Back to School Kick-off events in Watkins Glen and Elmira.
The following businesses have partnered with Catholic Charities and EOP to offer drop off locations in Chemung and Schuyler Counties:
- Empower Federal Credit Union, Elmira
- Ferrario Ford, Horseheads
- Panosian’s Famous Shoes, Elmira
- Parmenter Tire, Auto & Truck Service, Horseheads
- SPCA, Elmira
- The Purple Iris Boutique, Horseheads
- Treu Office Supply & Furniture, Elmira
- Chemung Canal Trust Company, Montour Falls & Watkins Glen
- Famous Brands, Watkins Glen
- Parmenter Tire, Auto & Truck Service, Odessa & Montour Falls
- Quinlan’s Pharmacy, Montour Falls
- The Hi-Lites, Watkins Glen
Donations will also be accepted at Catholic Charities’ Samaritan Center (380 S Main St, Elmira): Monday – Friday, 10am-Noon; Schuyler Outreach Food Pantry (112 10th St, Watkins Glen): Tuesday and Friday, 9am-2pm, Thursday, Noon-4pm; and at The Economic Opportunity Program (650 Baldwin St, Elmira): Monday-Thursday, 8:15am-5:45pm.
“We are deeply appreciative of our local businesses who make this Back to School Drive a success every year,” stated Katie Rhodes, Development & Marketing Coordinator at Catholic Charities. “With all of the uncertainty of this school year, we still want our children in Chemung and Schuyler Counties to have something of their very own that can help them learn, wherever that may be.”
The Back to School Kick-off Events will be held at the Schuyler County Highway Department on August 28 and The Elmira Community Kitchen on September 2. Both events require pre-registration by August 24 at noon for backpacks and school supply starter kits. These free events will be walk-up or drive-through.