Catholic Charities of Chemung/Schuyler is a member of the NY501 Regional Continuum of Care (CoC), covering Chemung, Allegany, Livingston, Schuyler, and Steuben Counties. CoC’s are established by the Federal Department of Housing and Urban Development to promote and support community-wide commitment to the goal of ending homelessness across the nation.
Our NY-501 CoC includes a collaboration of 56 member organizations that share the goal of coordinating services for homeless families and individuals within each member county and across our region. It is led by a Board with representatives from each county’s Department of Social Services and two nonprofit service providers. Each county has its own Homeless Housing Task Force to inform, guide and support the work of the CoC. Coordination of our CoC is led by CARES, Inc.
Purpose and mission of the CoC:
- Operates the Homelessness Management Information System (HMIS), a database of sheltered and unsheltered homeless individuals
- Applies for and monitors grantees of federal funds through the annual competitive HUD CoC Grant Program
- Evaluates homelessness programs and needs throughout our service area
- Participates in and assists with the coordination of county-level affordable housing planning and other consolidated plan matters
- Develops the regional strategic plan for ending homelessness
- Provides technical assistance to member organizations
- Conducts an annual homelessness Point In Time & Housing Inventory Count for the Federal Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- Advocates for services and increased federal funding to meet the needs of homeless and at-risk citizens
For NY-501 CoC membership information, committee structure, homeless data reports, and other information click here.