With the support of Excellus BlueCross BlueShield and the local community, Catholic Charities collected and distributed 320 backpacks and school supply starter kits to children and teenagers in Chemung and Schuyler Counties. Catholic Charities’ Back to School Giveaways were held at Schuyler Outreach on August 20 and The Samaritan Center on August 22. In addition to supplies, approximately 40 kids received fresh, new haircuts for the school year.
We would like to thank the following businesses and people for a successful Back to School event: our local drop-off locations – Famous Brands, The Hi-Lites, The Montour Falls Moose Club, Parmenter Tire, Auto & Truck Service, Schuyler Hospital Primary Care Center, Quinlan’s Pharmacy, Watkins Glen Public Library, Chemung County Library District, Cornell Cooperative Extension of Chemung County, Farmers Insurance, Mr. Panosian’s Famous Shoes, Sweet Frog, The Purple Iris Boutique, Treu Office Supply & Furniture; those who collected and prepared for the Giveaway – First Presbyterian Church of Hector, Odessa-Catherine United Methodist Church, The ARC of Schuyler, various individuals and all our Schuyler Outreach volunteers; Brandi Crissinger from Tops N Bottoms, Brooke VanAlstine from Absolute Transformation, Karen Cannon, Katie Sophia and Shawn Mleczynski who all provided children with haircuts.
For 2016 – Chemung County
We will be collecting new/like-new sneakers, new school supplies and new/like-new backpacks for our Back to School Giveaway in August.
Share your photos with us on Instagram! Use #CCBacktoSchool
Donations of new/like-new backpacks and new school supplies will be accepted at Catholic Charities:
- Schuyler Outreach: Monetary donations may be sent to Catholic Charities (607 N Franklin St, Watkins Glen, NY 14891) or made online. Please indicate Schuyler County Back to School Drive.
- The Samaritan Center: 380 S Main St, Elmira; Monday – Friday, 8:30am – Noon & 1pm – 4:30pm. Monetary donations may be sent to Catholic Charities (215 E Church St, Elmira, NY 14901) or made online. Please indicate Chemung County Back to School Drive.
- New/Like-New Backpacks (need at least 300, no wheels)
- New School Supplies for K-12th Grade Students:
– Binders (1″, 1 1/2″, 2″ ), Notebooks (5 subject, composition-black & white only), Folders (2 pocket), Lined Loose Leaf Paper (wide rule)
– Sets of Dividers for Binders, Scissors, Rulers, Glue Sticks, Liquid Glue
– Markers, Dry Erase Markers, Colored Pencils, Crayons (16-24 counts)
– Highlighters, Index Cards, Pens (blue/black), Post-it Notes (3×3 or 2×1 1/2 pack of 100)
– Pencil Cases/Pouches (not plastic boxes), Pencils (#2), Pencil Sharpeners, Erasers (large & pencil top)
– Tissues (large boxes), Disinfecting Wipes, Baby Wipes, Liquid Hand Soap, Zip Lock Bags (sandwich, gallon), Pump Hand Sanitizer
– Earbuds (for computer usage), USB Drive (512MB or larger)
– Combination Locks (for lockers)
Thank you for your generosity & support!