If you would like to help by donating items, here is our list of much-needed items for The Samaritan Center & our homeless shelter, Second Place East:
- Appliances: large, in working order
- Backpacks: new/like-new (for adults staying at the shelter)
- Can Openers: non-electric
- Cleaning Supplies: unopened (toilet brushes, sponges, laundry soap, disinfecting wipes, etc.)
- Diapers & other Baby Items: unopened (formula, wipes, baby wash, ointment, etc.)
- Food: non-expired, unopened; perishable & nonperishable More Ideas
- Furniture: new/used lamps, kitchen table/chairs, coffee tables, end tables, night stands, dressers, couches, chairs (clean; tear/stain free; no broken items)
- Linens: new (pillows, towels (hand/bath), single/twin sheet sets, washcloths); blankets for Shelter residents
- Paper Products: unopened (cups, plates, paper towels, toilet paper, etc.)
- Personal Care Items: unopened (soap, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrushes, razors, deodorant, feminine care products), men’s, women’s & children’s needed
- Seasonal Clothing: gently used; all sizes; gloves/hats/scarves/etc. especially needed during the winter months
- Underwear, Bras, Socks & Hats: new (all sizes)
- Venison: learn more about the Venison Donation Program
We do not accept: small appliances, baby furniture/car seats, computers/computer equipment, electronics, holiday decorations, mattresses, standard picture tube TVs, toys/stuffed animals, VHS players. (Please see our Schuyler List for some of these items.)
Items can be dropped off at The Emergency Services Center (380 S. Main St., Elmira) from 8:30am-11:45am & 1pm-3:30pm, Monday – Friday and until 5pm on Tuesday. (We are closed from Noon – 1pm.)
If you would like to donate an item other than the ones mentioned, please call 607.734.4898 to find out if it’s something we can use. More ways to get involved.
Guide to donating items from Charity Navigator.
Please bring donations to the back door of the building. Please ring the bell so a volunteer can open the door for you. If no one is available, please come to the front entrance to let us know you have a donation to drop off.
If you would like a receipt for your donation, please be sure to let us know.
No donations are to be left outside the building.
Policy of Catholic Charities expressly prohibits rendering estimates of value for any non-monetary donation. Catholic Charities reserves the right to decline any donation based on our ability to store and/or move the item.