Due to COVID-19, we are only able to accept the items on this page – COVID-19 Donations. Thank you for your understanding!
If you would like to help by donating items, here is our list of much-needed items. Please see below for the locations that are able to use the items. Any items without an asterisk can be used in both Chemung & Schuyler Counties:
- Appliances*: in working order
- Backpacks**: new/like-new (for adults staying at the shelter)
- Bus Tokens: always needed (for those needing to get to appointments, job interviews, etc.)
- Can Openers: non-electric
- Children’s Books: new/gently used (for distribution at our Food Pantries)
- Cleaning & Laundry Supplies: unopened (toilet brushes, sponges, laundry soap, disinfecting wipes, garbage bags, etc.)
- Clothing**: new/gently used; all sizes; gloves/hats/scarves/etc. especially needed during the winter months
- Diapers, Wipes & Baby Items: unopened (formula, wipes, baby wash, ointment, etc.)
- Food: unexpired, unopened; perishable & nonperishable (always needed: cereal, instant potatoes, macaroni & cheese, oatmeal, pancake mix, soup, spaghetti sauce, tuna fish, peanut butter, jelly, fruit/veggie cups, dried fruit, crackers and cheese/peanut butter, granola/cereal/nut bars) More Ideas
- Furniture*: (most items will be used in efficiency apartments) new/used lamps, kitchen table/chairs, coffee tables, end tables, nightstands, dressers, couches, chairs, mattresses (new/in plastic only) (clean; tear/stain-free; no broken items)
- Gas Cards: always needed (for those needing to get to appointments, job interviews, etc.)
- Gift Cards: for food, groceries, haircuts, personal care items (local stores only)
- Hand/Feet Warmers**: for distribution with those experiencing homelessness
- Linens**: unopened (pillows, towels (hand/bath), single/twin sheet sets, washcloths); blankets for Shelter residents
- Paper Products: unopened (cups, plates, paper towels, toilet paper, etc.)
- Personal Care Items: unopened (soap, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, toothbrushes, razors, deodorant, feminine care products); men’s, women’s & children’s needed. We are unable to accept mouthwash.
- Pots, Pans, Dishes & Silverware: new/gently used
- Toys/Games: new/in packages only
- Underwear, Bras, Socks & Hats**: new (all sizes)
- Venison: learn more about the Venison Donation Program
- Warm Clothing**: men’s gloves, hats, scarves, and coats are needed greatly, along with men’s socks
We do not accept: baby furniture/car seats, books for adults, computers/computer equipment, electronics, holiday decorations, used linens, mattresses (used), sofa sleepers, TVs, toys/games/stuffed animals (open/used), VHS players.
*Call 607.734.9784 to speak with a Receptionist and schedule a pick-up of large donations.
**Please drop off at The Samaritan Center (380 S. Main St., Elmira) 8:30am-11:45am & 1pm-2:30pm, Monday – Friday. (We are closed from Noon – 1pm.) We are unable to accept these items in Schuyler County.
Please take other donations to one of our Food Pantries in clear bags/grocery bags:
The Samaritan Center (380 S. Main St., Elmira) 8:30am-11:45am & 1pm-2:30pm, Monday – Friday. (We are closed from Noon – 1pm.)
Schuyler Outreach Food Pantry (112 Tenth St, Watkins Glen) Tuesday & Friday: 9am—2pm, Thursday: Noon—4pm.
- Even if an item is on our list, there may be certain times when we do not need it.
- If you would like a receipt for your donation, please be sure to let us know.
- No donations are to be left outside the buildings.
- Donations should not be brought in black trash bags – please use clear or grocery bags.
- If you would like to donate an item other than the ones listed, please call 607.734.9784 to find out if it’s something we can use.
- Guide to donating items from Charity Navigator.
- More ways to get involved.
Thank you for making a difference in our community!
Some other Agencies that accept donations that we might not be able to accept:
Salvation Army: 2502 Corning Rd, Elmira, NY OR 207 W Pulteney St, Corning, NY, 1-800-SA-TRUCK
St. James Episcopal Church: 112 6th Street, Watkins Glen, NY, 607-535-2321
Furniture Items – Habitat for Humanity’s Restore: 3412 NY-414, Corning, NY 14830, 607-936-4444
Infant & Child Items – Pregnancy Resource Center: 601 Pennsylvania Avenue, Elmira, NY 14904, 607-737-6952
Policy of Catholic Charities expressly prohibits rendering estimates of value for any non-monetary donation. Catholic Charities reserves the right to decline any donation based on our need and our ability to store and/or move the item.