We are unable to accept any donations of gently used items until January 2020. Donations of new items are always welcome. Thank you for your understanding!
If you would like to help by donating items, here is our list of much-needed items. Please see below for the locations that are able to use the items. Any items without an asterisk can be used in both Chemung & Schuyler Counties:
- Appliances*: in working order
- Backpacks**: new/like-new (for adults staying at the shelter)
- Bus Tokens: always needed (for those needing to get to appointments, job interviews, etc.)
- Can Openers: non-electric
- Children’s Books: new/gently used (for distribution at our Food Pantries)
- Cleaning & Laundry Supplies: unopened (toilet brushes, sponges, laundry soap, disinfecting wipes, garbage bags, etc.)
- Clothing**: new/gently used; all sizes; gloves/hats/scarves/etc. especially needed during the winter months
- Diapers, Wipes & Baby Items: unopened (formula, wipes, baby wash, ointment, etc.)
- Food: unexpired, unopened; perishable & nonperishable (always needed: cereal, instant potatoes, macaroni & cheese, oatmeal, pancake mix, soup, spaghetti sauce, tuna fish, peanut butter, jelly, fruit/veggie cups, dried fruit, crackers and cheese/peanut butter, granola/cereal/nut bars) More Ideas
- Furniture*: (most items will be used in efficiency apartments) new/used lamps, kitchen table/chairs, coffee tables, end tables, nightstands, dressers, couches, chairs, mattresses (new/in plastic only) (clean; tear/stain-free; no broken items)
- Gas Cards: always needed (for those needing to get to appointments, job interviews, etc.)
- Gift Cards: for food, groceries, haircuts, personal care items (local stores only)
- Hand/Feet Warmers**: for distribution with those experiencing homelessness
- Linens**: unopened (pillows, towels (hand/bath), single/twin sheet sets, washcloths); blankets for Shelter residents
- Paper Products: unopened (cups, plates, paper towels, toilet paper, etc.)
- Personal Care Items: unopened (soap, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, toothbrushes, razors, deodorant, feminine care products); men’s, women’s & children’s needed. We are unable to accept mouthwash.
- Pots, Pans, Dishes & Silverware: new/gently used
- Toys/Games: new/in packages only
- Underwear, Bras, Socks & Hats**: new (all sizes)
- Venison: learn more about the Venison Donation Program
- Warm Clothing**: men’s gloves, hats, scarves, and coats are needed greatly, along with men’s socks
We do not accept: baby furniture/car seats, books for adults, computers/computer equipment, electronics, holiday decorations, used linens, mattresses (used), sofa sleepers, TVs, toys/games/stuffed animals (open/used), VHS players.
*Call 607.734.9784 to speak with a Receptionist and schedule a pick-up of large donations.
**Please drop off at The Samaritan Center (380 S. Main St., Elmira) 8:30am-11:45am & 1pm-2:30pm, Monday – Friday. (We are closed from Noon – 1pm.) We are unable to accept these items in Schuyler County.
Please take other donations to one of our Food Pantries in clear bags/grocery bags:
The Samaritan Center (380 S. Main St., Elmira) 8:30am-11:45am & 1pm-2:30pm, Monday – Friday. (We are closed from Noon – 1pm.)
Schuyler Outreach Food Pantry (112 Tenth St, Watkins Glen) Tuesday & Friday: 9am—2pm, Thursday: Noon—4pm.
- Even if an item is on our list, there may be certain times when we do not need it.
- If you would like a receipt for your donation, please be sure to let us know.
- No donations are to be left outside the buildings.
- Donations should not be brought in black trash bags – please use clear or grocery bags.
- If you would like to donate an item other than the ones listed, please call 607.734.9784 to find out if it’s something we can use.
- Guide to donating items from Charity Navigator.
- More ways to get involved.
Thank you for making a difference in our community!
Some other Agencies that accept donations that we might not be able to accept:
Salvation Army: 2502 Corning Rd, Elmira, NY OR 207 W Pulteney St, Corning, NY, 1-800-SA-TRUCK
St. James Episcopal Church: 112 6th Street, Watkins Glen, NY, 607-535-2321
Furniture Items – Habitat for Humanity’s Restore: 3412 NY-414, Corning, NY 14830, 607-936-4444
Infant & Child Items – Pregnancy Resource Center: 601 Pennsylvania Avenue, Elmira, NY 14904, 607-737-6952
Policy of Catholic Charities expressly prohibits rendering estimates of value for any non-monetary donation. Catholic Charities reserves the right to decline any donation based on our need and our ability to store and/or move the item.